Friday 10 May 2013

"...I´ll give you shelter from the storm."

Sorry no photos as the desktop here is very old and I can´t connect my camera.

Yesterday we came over the Col after a really hard slog from St Jean Pied de Port of 24km hard uphill. The day started with sunshine through meadows and ended with rain and cloud in forests and on roads. We were very wet, footsore and unhappy pilgrims when we did the last three km downhill into Roncevalles. We didn´t feel like a night in a pilgrim hostel but the hotels were full (I´m taking against wealthy pilgrims who have the whole thing orgainsed by travel companies and get their packs carried by bus to the next hotel).

We bumped into an American pilgrim we´d met the day before in France and she asked us if we wanted to share the cost of an apartment in a very smart hotel. We were ecstatic. I´d forgotten the fact that lows like the Marianas trench are often followed by Alpine highs on this type of trip. Irv and I shared a twin room with it´s own bathroom with use of lounge and kitchen for 26euros a head. Difficult to describe the feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment