Monday 13 May 2013

Lost in France

This is a bit out of order but I had some photos of the begining of the journey I thought I´d share.

The real start of the journey was dawn over the channel on our way to Le Havre. I´d slept on the floor in a sleeping bag for the first time in years so was starting to feel a bit like a pilgrim again. Waking early I was rewarded with a strong French coffee and the sight of the sun rising from the depths of the Atlantic.

When we got to the Charente Maritime my walking companion Irv, who I´ve known for 30 odd years from the I.O.W days, had a few things to sort out before we trained down to Bayonne then on to St Jean Pied de Port for the start of the camino. He´s got a lovely home there which looks out over open country. I was happy to spend a few days there walking the country lanes around Cognac to get my feet really toughened up for the daily 15 miles. I met some interesting walking companions in Neuvique le Chateau.
Spring was much more advanced in the Charente with lilacs everywhere and Judas trees in full bloom. The familiar palette of azur, deep greens and bright yellow was a real contrast to the colours of the England I´d left behind.


2 comments:

  1. So beautiful and good to see Irv's house again!
    Good luck to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah. Yes, it was nice to be back there for a few days. Looking for more knockers for John. Rich

    ReplyDelete